Baked Basil Sausage,Artichoke and Red Wine Pappardelle Feeds 4 Estimated cost £13.00
4 Large Artichokes
125 ml Red Wine
30ml Olive Oil
Cracked Black Pepper
1 frying pan
1 medium saucepan
1 casserole or crock pot
Fresh artichokes are great but you can use prepared artichoke in water or oil.
If you use artichokes in oil replace the olive oil in this recipe and keep the rest for another day.
First part of the process is done on rings or burners on top of hob and finished in hot oven
- If you are making Béchamel sauce, prepare the infused milk.
- Wipe a little of the oil around the frying pan and put on medium burner or ring and fry the sausages gently for 15 to 20 minutes until thoroughly cooked inside and browned on the outside.
- Wash the artichokes,remove outer leaves,keeping only the soft inner heart.
- Cut the artichokes in half clean and beard.
- Remove the frying pan from the heat and remove the sausages from the pan.
- Add wine and oil to the frying pan.
- Cut each sausage into 5 chunks and put back into frying pan.
- Cut artichoke into strips and add to frying pan and put back on medium to high burner to reduce liquid.
- If you are making Béchamel sauce make the roux and add infused milk. Once made keep warm according to instructions.
- Whilst liquid is evaporating add boiling water to saucepan and cook pappardelle 3 to 7 minutes if fresh 7 to 15 minutes if dried.
- Pre heat oven to 180c/160c fan gas mark 4.
- When pasta is al dente, set aside a ladle full of pasta liquid. Drain the remainder and add sausage,artichoke and wine gravy.
- Mix together gently but thoroughly and add a little pasta liquid if necessary.
- Place a little of the pasta mix on the bottom of the casserole dish then a couple of spoonfuls of white sauce. Carry on alternating this mixture until the last layer which should be sauce.
- Grate parmesan onto the last layer of sauce.
- Put the casserole dish into pre heated oven and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Serve in bowls with black pepper to taste.